Friday, January 14, 2011

How in the HECK?!

I know, I know. I'm fired.

I promised new and exciting and interesting blogs, and haven't posted a blame thing. Sigh. It's just that every time I think about writing something, I get stuck trying to figure out what to write about. There are so many thoughts and feelings jumbled up in my giant noggin that it's hard to sort through them. To translate them into something the general public will be able to follow. Not because I'm smarter than the general public--but because I'm CRAZIER.

I guess it's just hard to know where to start. The last year of our lives has been the worst year of our lives. So much has happened that it seems really shallow to just start blogging one day about my kid's adorable new haircut and his brother's giant up-the-back poop explosion. REALLY shallow. But at the same time I don't want to feel like everything I post has to be profoundly amazing and eye-opening and life-changing either. Happy medium, anyone? It's more difficult to find than you'd think.

But here I go again overthinking something that's supposed to be fun and light and a form of release in the midst of my crazy hectic and chaotic existence.

So for now, here's my start. My three-year-old, Marty, is sporting a great new haircut compliments of yours truly. And yeah, it's choppy and not perfect, but he didn't freak out about the pieces of hair falling onto his skin. Success. I'll take it. And Lucas? He's had some gnarly poops lately. We're talking clear-the-room stenches and more loads of laundry in a day than I dare count. But he's happy and he's eating well and handling this whole teething nonsense like a champ. Success. I'll take it.

As I continue to ponder how to sum up these last twelve months without sounding like a totally depressed pessimist (which I only am when woken up prior to 7am), I'm going to try to focus on the little things each day that are making me smile in the midst of all the other crap.

Success. I'll take it.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am loving where you're taking this blog. I want to hear it ALL. The great haircut success stories, the poopy diapers, but also the days when you feel like crap. They serve as great tools to:
A) Know exactly how to pray for you
and
B) Be able to look back in a year or two and see how much your life has changed and how different things are now.

Keep blogging my friend.

Chris said...

Call me old-fashioned or something, but I still prefer blogs & Twitter over Facebook. Keep up the posts, and watch out for those explosions!

Laura Kostrikin Palm said...

I don't think I realized how much I missed your blog (and others!) until you posted your second to last one. So much craziness here but the thought of bringing back my own blog excited me too, mostly so I could have a place to vent and unwind as well... In the new house, I promise to make time. Until then, thank you for yours. :)

Juliette said...

I think five days in between blogs is totally acceptable so don't be stressing over it! So glad you are doing it again though - I always love to read your writing!!!

Sarah said...

glad you are blogging again.:) look forward to reading.

Anonymous said...

I love your blogs, your honesty and openness - traits that 140 charater status messages and "social networking" has taken away from our attempts to stay in touch with people who have moved away but still hold a special place in our hearts and minds. Thanks for blogging again! I look forward to them :)
~bonnie