Saturday, March 7, 2009

Madness #22--ancient history

Sometimes, my little mommy self misses the days before my son...

...found out that crayons were edible, fun to brush his teeth with, and could break in half.
...thought that throwing every single one of his Legos down the stairs, one at a time, for Mommy to trip on, was a good idea.
...decided to be afraid of water, making bath time a nightmare for all of us.
...discovered the joy of glaring at Mama from underneath his blonde bangs.
...learned how to take his socks and shoes off when we're running late and trying to get out the door.
...would rather hang out with Elmo than his own mother.
...realized that screaming the word "TAT-tooooooo" while pointing at someone with a visible tattoo really embarrasses Mommy.
...started misbehaving badly enough to warrant spankings before breakfast.
...knew that he was capable of asking for something, then of refusing it when it's offered.
...understood that he was cute and how to use it to his advantage.
...felt it was just hilarious to blow his nose into my clothing or hand.

But you know what? I wouldn't trade that kid for any other kid in the world. Because with all these new things he's learning come other new things--like how to yell "lah-loo" to tell Mama that he loves her, and how to give Mommy sweet kisses through the bars of his crib at bedtime.

If that's my reward for wiping boogers off my pants every day, I'll take all the half-chewed crayons and missing socks I can get.

5 comments:

Moseley said...

One of my favorites is when he's REALLY mad at us, but he'll still say Lah-Loo before bed while he's crying. What a guy, I love him to death.

Pearcia LaPointe said...

I feel bad, I think the first two started the night Elliot was there. You can blame us. Sorry. :S

Moseley said...

I love you so much. You are an amazing mom. I wouldn't want anyone else rasing my little Meemo but you. Thank you for amazing me every day, and for loving and caring for Marty. You are incredible and faultless in my eyes. I adore you and think you are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. With out exception.

Leah said...

I empathize with them all. I'm glad you're enjoying him in each stage and not just waiting for him to outgrow it. Every stage has something good and bad about it and I am learning not to wish each stage (and thus my little boys' lives) away!

thelains said...

This is a crack up!! I sure can relate!
-Krista Lain
(wife, mom, climber, friend of Candace and Bobby, and currently living in Mongolia)
I think we met once before :) We are praying for Jericho!