Friday, July 18, 2008

our trip back east...

Let's just say it'll be a while before we fly with our little munchkin again. But our trip to Pennsylvania and the fun we had visiting with family was worth a fussy baby, diaper explosion mid-air, and a couple tears shed by a very tired Mommy.

Anyway, instead of boring you with every tiny detail of our trip, I thought I'd just post a couple (okay, a lot) of my favorite pictures from our journey, with a little explanation underneath to clarify what's going on. And yes, I'm related to every single one of the people you'll see. Kind of crazy when your family can't all fit in the hotel swimming pool at the same time. We had to cool off in shifts.

So scroll on down to meet my crazy family. Could I love them any more than I already do?

little Marty covered with strawberry Pop-Tart goo after Mommy thought it would be a good idea to hand him one on the drive down to San Jose

hanging out with Unkie at the airport, despite a bit of a height difference

Auntie Ruthie taught him how to pull the airplane window shade up and down--kept him occupied for at least half an hour

holding on tight during our bus ride to the car rental place

we thought he could use a little boost the morning after we arrived at the hotel

with sister Grace, cousin Clara, sister Hannah, sister Laura, cousin Sara Beth, cousin Candace, and cousin Kathleen--just a few of the lovely ladies

loving my cousin Neal

my aunts made these bracelets in honor of my cousin Gordie who passed away in February--they even had a little one made for the baby

playing bocci ball with cousins Billy, Eddie, Rusty, Christopher ("Wrong ball, Becky!"), and my brother Ben

pairing up for the water balloon toss

even the baby wanted to throw a water balloon

posing with cousin Veronika, his babysitter for the weekend
(we popped a water balloon over the baby's head to cool him off in the horrible humidity--he started to cry at first, but once everyone cheered for him he yelled, "Yay!")

lovey-dovey at my Grandy's 80th birthday party

someone really enjoyed the birthday cake

with my cousin Alli, who I just adore and wanted to take home

Grandy and Papa Bill with all the cousins

holding my cousin Hudson and little Marty, both big Elmo fans--they're a year apart but there's a whole generation between them

with my Aunt Susie, a fellow new mom--we had fun chatting about sleeping habits, discipline, and the joy of raising boys

wearing his fireman pajamas with his great-grandpa's old fire helmet from when Papa Bill served at Ohio's Euclid firehouse

posing with Grandy, the birthday girl

playing the slots during our layover in Vegas--my brother actually won a couple bucks

so tired and sleepy after a fun weekend

4 comments:

Juliette said...

Looks like a great trip. I love how you had the traditional family reunion that involved a water balloon toss and bocci ball. Family reunions seem so special and I hope that I get to take part in one some day :)

Leah said...

Looks like we have big families in common! I'm sure you can relate when I say that I hated it when I was growing up but I absolutely love it now. What a blessing! I'm so glad you guys had a great time! By the way, is your family from PA? My husband has many friends and relatives there.

Anna said...

That picture of M4 on the bus looks EXACTLY like M3! Crazy!

Emily Branca said...

what great pictures! your family looks amazing. do you love being part of a huge family? it's always been something i love... my mom is one of 7, so we always have a good laugh when we get everybody together.