Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Madness #17--nakey baby

Little did I know when I got up this morning that I was in for a real treat.

So, my precious son woke up at a reasonable hour. He started laughing and talking over the baby monitor, so I jumped out of bed to go get him, excited to start our day together. I have this little voice that I use whenever I open the door and see him standing there smiling at me through the bars of his crib. So I said my "Good morning, Baby" in an octave only dogs can hear and reached to pick him up.

He was soaked. And smelled like pee-pee. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a diaper sitting next to the sock monkey in his crib. Upon even closer inspection, I noticed a little pale butt sticking out from underneath his pajama top where a diaper is supposed to be.

So my theory is that he wanted to surprise me by going commando. That his diaper got uncomfortable and he played with it until he figured out how to take it off. And from the looks of it, he made that decision pretty early on last night. His diaper had less in it than his crib sheet had soaked up. Needless to say, I laughed pretty hard as he looked at me with that little mischievous grin of his. Complete with half-grown teeth and a dimple or two.

But despite the extra laundry I'll be doing today, and the morning bath before breakfast, I'm thanking my lucky stars. He could have smelled like poo-poo.

5 comments:

sarah said...

Oh my goodness...that is soooo cute...well, only cause I didn't have to clean it up! Haha!

Juliette said...

Very cute! I love the picture, Marty has such an adorable little smile. This was better than my recent experience of Ruby's explosive poop that caused us to have to wash the sheets and her too!

Candace said...

Too hilarious!

Bonnie Janelle said...

cute story. Maybe you should start walking in his room in the mornings with a video camera to see what other surprises he'll have for you as the days go on? And as a preschool teacher, that's awesome he can take his own diaper off! When it's pee only, you can start having him take it off himself and throwing it away and then you just need to put the new one on =)

Emily Faulknor said...

Wow, that is amazing! I guess I have much to look forward to. :) Thanks so much friend for your kind words on my blog. You are so sweet!