Saturday, March 22, 2008

a khaki kind of day

So it doesn't take a genius to notice that I'm pretty tall. I tower over my husband when I'm brave enough to pull my heels out from the recesses of my closet.

Normally my height doesn't really bother me. I mean, I'm the shortest one in my family, with a little sister who's about 6'3" and a big brother who's 6'9". Yeah, BIG brother. When I'm around them, I even think of myself as kind of puny.

But today, I began to curse my long legs as I set out to find myself a pair of khaki pants. You'd think they'd be easy to find, since most stores are carrying longer sizes these days. SO WRONG.

Let's see, American Eagle (yes, I'm complaining about my husband's store) doesn't carry long khakis unless you special order them online and pay out your butt for the added inconvenience. The pants at Old Navy that were actually long enough were too wide in the leg. I could have fit two of me in each of those pant legs. Needless to say they looked pretty silly on my relatively skinny self.

So, Kohl's. I looked in the junior's section because the women's pants are all dress pants, and I wanted a wear-around-the-house type pant. So after trying on about five pairs before figuring out what size I was, I started getting antsy. Some fit okay, but were total butt-crackers when I leaned over (come on, you know you do the butt-crack test in dressing rooms, too). Others were skin-tight and showed off every little extra part of me that I usually try to hide. And, you guessed it, the rest were too short. But then I found a pair that claimed to be a "tall" size. Imagine my surprise upon discovering that they were too long! Gadzooks! But my picky khaki self couldn't handle how much they made me look fourteen again, like I was trying to be cool with my super-long, super-flared pants. But the regular length of those same khakis was just a little bit shorter than I would have liked. I wish they had a "regular tall" size for those in-betweeners like myself.

So what did I do? I bought both the regular and tall khaki pants. To take home and try on for my husband to see which ones he thinks I should keep since little Marty wasn't much help in my decision-making process. He just kind of looked at me and whined.

I guess the perfect pair of khakis, or perfect anything for that matter, just doesn't exist. Some days I feel like whining about it too.

4 comments:

Erica said...

I hear you on this one. I usually have the opposite problem though. Usually my pants are too long. I usually go home frustrated and growling under my breath.

Candace said...

So here's the deal. We are going to drive out to the GAP outlet together. I bet you'll find a good pair there. GAP is where I go for staples stuff like Khakis. And you know I have the long pants dilemma too.

Bonnie Janelle said...

I feel your pain in the opposite since! Only American Eagle "short" pants fit me right and I have to order them online because the stores have since stopped carrying "short" sizes (at least the ones near me). Too bad the fashion industry can't get on the each one of us is uniquely and beautifully made in God's image train - they expect you to be 5'3" or 6'0" and NOTHING in between.

Obat Tetes Infeksi Telinga said...

Thank you for sharing the information. See also information from us through the follow
Obat Tradisional Sakit Punggung dan Pinggang
Cara Mengatasi Sakit Tenggorokan Susah Menelan