Monday, March 17, 2008

vacuum hair

I credit my sister-in-law with being the cleanest person EVER.

And truthfully, she's inspired me to vacuum on a more regular basis. I'm tired of walking around the house and groaning over the little tufts of cat hair and half-eaten Cheerios and threads that have separated themselves from my red bathroom rug and found their way into the living room. Seriously, when you have to wear flip-flops around the house to avoid getting your feet dirty, it's time to bust out the old vacuum. Dust it off and vacuum up the dust cloud created as a result!

Now, I'm certainly not going to do it daily like my sister-in-law does. I'm not THAT inspired. Maybe we'll take baby steps and start making it a weekly thing. Get a little crazy.

Anyway, I had one of these "moments of inspiration" just last Saturday. I started with the hallway, then moved into the baby's room. But for some reason, the usual powerful sucking-ness of my vacuum was...well...sucking. I had to go over the trouble spots way too many times for comfort. So I turned the vacuum off and flipped it over to see if I could figure out what the problem was. As if I'm some kind of vacuum maintenance expert.

But it was pretty obvious what was causing those soggy Cheerios to be barfed back onto the carpet. You know how hair gets wrapped around the vacuum brush? Well, there was so much hair I couldn't even SEE the brush. Goo.

So my quick little vacuuming sesh turned into a vacuuming afternoon as I spent almost an hour removing every single strand of hair that I could get my hands on.

Guess the moral of the story is that if I kept up with my housework, and actually maintained the overall cleanliness of our little abode instead of saving it all until I have a full head of hair hanging out inside my vacuum, cleaning wouldn't take as long when I got around to it.


So, in front of God and the three people that will read this, I hereby declare my vacuum my new friend. And implore it to come out and play more often. I promise I'll stop using the fact that my son is afraid of it as an excuse to leave it hidden.

But, friend, if ever you come over and find you miss seeing those little pieces of my bathroom rug all over the floor, I'm sure I'd be willing to skip for a week or two to accommodate you...

3 comments:

Candace said...

I LOVE that you are blogging now! I am going to really enjoy these little glimpses into your life!

Anna said...

Since this posting was inspired by me I have to say that I am proud that you took your vacuum out and cleaned it up. It looks like a shiny, new red car. Honesly though I was a little grossed out by the head of hair stuck in the vacuum because it reminds me of vacuuming growing up with 4 girls in the house. Yuck!

Erica said...

Hey I'm a once a week vacuumer as well. But I must say that the more I vacuum the more I have to cut the hair out of the bottom. I don't know how I shed so badly.