Saturday, June 7, 2008

dishpan hands...

I can picture it now.

I'm on my deathbed, saying my goodbyes, and all I can think about is how much of my life was spent doing the dishes.

For some reason, dishes are the one household chore I have the hardest time keeping up with. Which I don't understand, because it's also my favorite household chore. I find it really therapeutic to start with a kitchen full of grossness, and end with a running dishwasher and a shining, sparkly sink. I've done a lot of my best thinking while standing over the soap suds with my blue rubber gloves on.

I guess it's finding the time to devote to them that I struggle with. Because I have to wait until my son is either napping or in his high chair and immobile--both of which are few and far between. And who wants to spend their only free time during the day cleaning? I know I don't. The second my son is sleeping, I'm sitting my butt down on the couch for some quality time with a huge bowl of mac n' cheese and The Tyra Show.

Anyway, I've tried doing the dishes while little Marty is playing in the other room. I've even tried the "stick your kid in front of the TV to distract him and buy yourself some time" trick.

But the second I open the dishwasher, he's crawling into the kitchen to check things out. Then he's climbing onto the dishwasher door or pulling the bottom rack completely out. I've had myself a few minor heart attacks over it.

So why don't I just do the dishes as they're dirtied? Clean them off and put them right in the dishwasher to save myself the trouble of trying to find a couple hours-worth of non-baby time? Well, in our house, it's my job to load the dishwasher, and Marty's job to unload it. I'm not a big fan of putting the dishes away, but I can wash and rinse with the best of them. So if there's a batch of clean dishes ready to be reloaded into our cabinets, I'll leave them there for Marty to take care of. Until he does, dishes pile up in the sink because, oh bummer, there's no room in the dishwasher. And I'm usually too stubborn to do his job and mine.

Because when I do, when I unload and reload and unload and reload, I find myself resenting the concept of dishes in general. Take yesterday for example. I managed to find myself some dish time, and ended up spending hours and hours getting things tidied up. And while I enjoyed the process, the fact that it took up most of my day was not so fun. "What did you do today, Becky?" And I'd reply, "The dishes." It doesn't bode well for my claim that being a stay-at-home mom is just as exciting as any other job.

I guess I'm trying to say that if you come over and find a mountain of nasty in my kitchen sink, kindly ignore it. Look the other way. Or hey, strap on those blue rubber gloves and have a go. You'll be the one I think of on my deathbed, thankful that a few minutes of my life of dish washing was spent watching someone else tackle my mess.

2 comments:

Bonnie Janelle said...

I feel your pain...that's why after battle after battle of sharing the dish duty (the unloading/loading battle)...the one you so eloquently described, I put my foot down and changed the contract terms...whoever cooks, the other one does the dishes for that meal. Now Miguel and I both work so our situation is a little different, but it still goes with sharing the housework. Since Miguel loves my cooking and I hate doing dishes, it has worked out prefectly for us. At one point (however) I caught him leaving the dishes for his mom to do and so I went on a cooking dinner strike. He either hasn't done it since or has gotten more clever at hiding his mom doing the dishes instead of him. All I can really say to you is KUDOS and CONGRATULATIONS for doing a job I and so many other people would never chose to do. It takes a truly sacrifical and humble heart to work as hard as you do 24/7 with no vacations or compensation and little to no acknowledgement of the difficulty of your work. You are a rare and treasured jewel. Thanks for your blogs =)

Erica said...

Well said. I procrastinate my dishes. It is pitiful and gross. I HATE DOING THE DISHES!