Saturday, August 23, 2008

sisterly love

My baby sister is all grown up.

Today, she's moving to Denmark.

Hannah has always been the smartest of us Palm kids. We're all nerds, but her nerdiness outshines even my brother's newest Ti-89 graphing calculator. And the fact that I know what a Ti-89 graphing calculator is.

Anyway, that smartness has propelled her into intellectual areas I'd never be brave enough to touch. How about four AP classes her senior year? How about getting a perfect score on each one of those AP tests? How about attending a prestigious college and taking organic chemistry? Getting grades that make o-chem look as easy as bowling-101?

Need I even mention that I'm pretty proud of her? For a college-dropout like myself, she more than makes up for my lack of academic achievements. She's our family's own shining star.


So she's moving to Copenhagen. To study abroad for a couple months and see the world in the process. The difference between Hannah and the rest of us? She actually does the things she's always dreamed of doing. She's going to be a pediatrician, which means my siblings and I will be fighting over which of our home-towns she'll be moving to someday. Wanting her to take care of our kids in all her loving-ness and that smart-ness I've been bragging about.

But in the meantime, Europe gets to house our Hannie for a spell. And while I can't stand the thought of not seeing her for four months--my boo, my lovey love--I'm so excited for her and for this adventure she's brave enough to embark on by herself.

I just wish Denmark and Redding were a LITTLE bit closer to each other.

4 comments:

Bonnie Janelle said...

Wow that's incredible! She's going to love it there! Hopefully she'll want to come back ;) Send her congrats form me for such an amazing academic career so far and an even more amazing medical career to come!

Ben Palm said...

just a point of clarification - i never owned (and never will own) a ti-89 graphing calculator. hate to break it to you, beck, but my "nerdy" days are over.

Candace said...

I can't believe your little Hannah is gone. Well, not so little, but you know what I mean. I'm just glad I got to see her before she left. I'll hold your hand through not being able to see her.

Becky Moseley said...

Ben, Marty says that whole comment about your nerdy days being over is a lie.