Wednesday, May 28, 2008

the cookie curse is back...

I have officially taken on the "cookie curse".

My oatmeal cookies usually turn out perfectly, and taste like the heaven that they are. I'm even a little bit famous for them.

But the other night, while my family was in town and I thought it would be fun to make a batch, I was shocked and horrified at the cookie nightmare that ensued. Round, plump, chewy morsels were replaced by flat, crumbly discs. My excuse was that it was the first time I had tried making them in a gas oven. Our landlord blessed us with a beautiful new oven after the old one caught on fire, but it just doesn't make my cookies the same way. Though my husband was more than delighted when I told him he could have just "one" cookie before bed and I pulled this out of the oven:

Guess I'll just have to experiment with different temps and timing to get my cookies back to their beautiful selves. Beautiful and individual selves. That is, cookies that are actually cookies and not one giant glob of cinnamony oatmealy goo. I'll make batch after batch until they come out just right, and I can regain my "heavenly-oatmeal-cookies-maker" title.

Anyone want to do some taste testing?

5 comments:

Bonnie Janelle said...

God speed! =)

Rebecca Gafner said...

That looks EXACTLY like my oatmeal cookies look EVERY TIME!! I can't seem to make my oatmeal cookies EVER plump up. I've come to accept it. But Becky...don't settle for globiness. Go for the plump. Let me know what you discover.

sarah said...

I don't understand how it melted into one cookie...I think this is a twilight zone moment...

The Beaverette said...

When this happens to me it is usually time for new baking soda or powder. Good luck!

Erica said...

It looks like a headless girl in a bikini. Your just getting excited for summer right?