Saturday, May 31, 2008

SYTYCD

Friends, it's back.

My favorite show ever has just started its fourth season, and I'm one lucky gal to get to enjoy it all summer long. Say it with me--"So You Think You Can Dance"!

Last May, June, and July's Wednesday and Thursday nights found our tiny apartment packed with fellow "Dance" fans, from North and Shannon, my Judy Garland buffs, to Patrick and Bethany, who were really just there to hang out, to Billy and Heather, who loved chipping in on how lame certain costumes were. Okay, I cherished every moment of it. Even when I had to pause and rewind about a thousand times because the boys were talking so loudly over Nigel's criticisms and Mary Murphy's hot tamale train. Pure networking genius, I tell you.

And not just because I used to dance. But mostly because I used to dance. My Crohn's disease limited my athletic ability since my joints were so weak, so (go figure) I took dance classes instead of PE in high school. Pretty lame, since we only danced to praise music and did the same lyrical half-hearted moves in every number. But I loved dancing, so I pulled up my black spandex dance pants and tied my jazz shoes and clapped my hands and stomped my feet to the best of my ability.

Many years later, I suck at dancing but wish I could be amazing again. Although some might say that I was never amazing to begin with. Whatever. I was cool in my own head and that's what counts, right? Even if when I shake it I purse my lips like a duck trying to whistle.

Enter "So You Think You Can Dance". Pretty much the coolest couple of hours during my week. And even though I haven't had a houseful of buddies over yet, I'm enjoying every moment of this new season and it's fresh dancing meat. I may not be fun to watch it with (sorry Sarah), because I can't help but talk through the whole thing, but my giddiness and excitement is infectious. I promise. Enough to make my husband watch two two-hour episodes back-to-back with me until the wee hours of the morning. Someone loves me very much.

But my absolute favorite part? Marty and I have come up with our own dance moves that we get up and perform during the commercial breaks. His is that "junk in the trunk" dance that we always talk about but no one ever sees since he's kind of embarrassed of himself for coming up with it. And I call mine "screet dancing" in honor of one of last year's performers. And we are hilarious.


So head on over to the Moseley pad when it's on next, and you just might catch us prancing around like the idiots that we love to be. But come on, don't fault us. We just "Think We Can Dance".

7 comments:

--- Billy Brown said...

"And not just because I used to dance. But mostly because I used to dance."-probably the funniest pair of sentences that I've ever read in a blog!

I'm so glad that sytycd is back! I can't wait to hear what's-her-name with those giant horse teeth start screaming again!

Juliette said...

I am totally with you Becky! SYTYCD is probably my fav show too! I too used to dance so I like to critque them like I know what I'm talking about - when really I'm probably clueless :) Can't wait to have conversations with you about who's the best and who needs to go!
Oh and your photos of you and Marty's dance alter-egos was hilarious!

rosietoes said...

"I took dance classes instead of PE in high school. Pretty lame, since we only danced to praise music and did the same lyrical half-hearted moves in every number."

Oh man I remember that class with Ms Lauderbaugh! Haha I remember when we did that one dance in the church performance together. Goooood times, lol.

sarah said...

LOVE the pictures...especially yours Becky because that is the most ghetto I will probably ever see you!!! And I had a blast watching it with you...especially with the wine; it allowed the critiques to just flow.

And once the tv is live and we can no longer fast forward through the commercials, I'll bust out with the 'running man' and 'roger rabbit'!

Fleck, the Mrs. said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE SYTYCD!!! Love it so much that I bought tix to the tour last year and saw it in Sacramento. It was HOT!!! What I love even more...the fact that you and Marty make up moves. AWESOME!

Amy said...

After hearing you and the others talking today, I have to see what I have been missing. Becky, the picture of you is great.

Erica said...

That ensemble is amazing! I can totally see you dancing in that.