Friday, May 23, 2008

my spidey sense

Confession. I hate spiders.

Now, I know most people dislike them, and do the occasional squirmy spider dance when they see one crawling across their ceiling.

But I'm pretty much terrified of the little hairy guys. To the point where I used to believe the movie "Arachniphobia" was based on my own life.

Which means that I'll spend all summer freaking out because it's hot outside and cold inside, and spiders somehow feel entitled to mooch off of our air-conditioning. But I have yet to receive any rent checks, or help with utilities. So when I see them, I squash them. Or in reality, when I see them, I scream and call Marty and say "bring a tissue" and he doesn't so he uses his shoe to kill it and flushes it down the toilet after shaking it off of his shoe but he leaves the spider guts remnants on the wall for me to see every time I walk by. Shudder.

In fact, yesterday I was grabbing a shirt out of the baby's "clean shirts pile" when I saw the biggest spider ever. It was seriously the size of my hand. Okay, my son's hand. But it was really big! I almost started crying, which started the baby crying, and our little spider dance ensued. My face probably looked like this:

I eventually recovered after Marty reassured me that the monster was long gone, flushed to oblivion. But the worst part of my spider fear is the thought that they could be anywhere. After the king-size spider debaucle, I'm imagining spiders everywhere. I picture one in the bag of animal crackers as I reach in to grab a handful for my son. I picture one in the finger of my dish-washing gloves, just waiting for my hand to discover it as I put them on. And I constantly feel like they're crawling all over me.

When I was little, I used to imagine that if I got one wish, if I could rid the world of any one thing, I'd choose stray hairs. Maybe it's time to grow up and choose something far more emotionally and mentally damaging--spiders. That or grow up and realize no one really grants wishes like that these days. But a girl can hope, right?

5 comments:

Rachael said...

Seriously I do the same thing, your mind and do terrible things.
I hate spiders, Ryan was so mad at me a few weeks ago, we had a roach run out of a box a cousin gave me to pack our house in (I gave those boxes to Candace hehehe)but I screamed so loud Ryan came running into the living room to find me holding Maddie standing on the coffee table crying. He thought one of the kids was dying so he was alittle mad at me. AAAHHH I hate roaches!!!!

--- Billy Brown said...

Next time we're hanging out, remind me to tell you the spider story from when Marty and I were roomies.

Bonnie Janelle said...

VERY WELL WRITTEN!! =)

sarah said...

I felt like you were talking about me! Why, God, why???

Candace said...

HILL-LARRY-US!!! I love it! And I'm so with you. I HATE HATE HATE spiders.