Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Madness #2--snap, crackle, POP

Kids are reaching puberty earlier and earlier these days. To my horror and embarrassment, my son broke out when he was just a couple months old.

I never knew that babies could get what's lovingly referred to as "baby acne". As if adding the word "baby" in front makes the little pimples just adorable. I have to be honest. I was pretty grossed out.

It's not like he had tiny "baby" zits all over his face. He just had a couple "baby" blemishes that kept appearing no matter how often I scrubbed those chubby cheeks. And as a new mom, I was lost as to how I should treat the little buggers. Do I apply some Clearasil? Hold an ice pack on them? Rub in some toothpaste? Pop them?

My baby books told me this form of acne was perfectly normal--that his little sweat glands were just working overtime trying to figure out how to function outside of Mommy's womb. All I could do was leave the pimples alone and they'd disappear over time. But I couldn't help feeling like everyone who saw them was staring at me, judging me. I almost wanted to hand-craft a onesie that said, "Yes, my mom DOES wash me from time to time. These zits aren't her fault."

Madness, I tell you. Not only that my tiny little baby appeared to be hitting puberty WAY sooner than I expected, but that I was so worried people would think I never cleaned the little guy. I started to realize that I had to just get over what other people perceived of me and parent my child the best way I knew how.

So sue me if I popped a "baby" zit just once. His relatives were coming over and I didn't want a tiny whitehead in every single picture...

2 comments:

Erica said...

Whenever I nurse any of my kids I would pick at them. I call it mama monkey picking. I would pick their cradle cap, pop their zits, clean their ears. All super disgusting when you think about it, but sometimes you have got to get er done.

Becky Moseley said...

Okay, good. At least I'm not the only one.