Sunday, April 20, 2008

"You free on Saturday?"

So, Marty and I are total last-minute people.

And at times we're kind of forced to be (though this is me making excuses for ourselves). See, Marty's work schedule is crazy, and he often doesn't know what nights he'll have off during the week until a couple days ahead.

This week he happened to have Saturday evening open. So we decided to throw an impromptu barbeque at the old homestead, and were shocked that so many of our friends ended up being last-minute people too! With only two days' notice, we had twenty-two adults and six kids.

Now THAT is a barbeque! My living room was overflowing with friends, family, and loved ones. People were sitting on every possible surface in my tiny home. To some, it may have been stressful, but to me, it was perfect. And somehow we had more food than we could possibly eat--I think Marty and I are going to be having watermelon and grilled meat for dinner until the day we die.

But the best part was how loved Marty and I felt. Sure, we joked about being the cool kids since so many people showed up, but in all reality, we were more humbled than anything. And it couldn't have come at a better time, as this week has been a pretty rough one. What a great reminder that God has placed us in this community here in Redding for a reason, and that we matter to more people than we realize.

And as if my smile wasn't already big enough, a friend came up to me in the midst of our houseful of people and told me the best news that I've heard in a long time. News that in all reality affects the rest of my life. For the better. I wanted to shout it from the rooftops, but I think the tears glistening in my eyes was enough to show how elated I am. I just can't wait for that "rest of my life" to begin.

All that to say I am one lucky gal. A big hug and thank you to those who reminded me of that just by showing up to our last-minute barbeque. Who knows--maybe we'll have another one in a couple days just so we can get those warm fuzzies all over again.

Anyone free?

3 comments:

Bethany Joy Hardy said...

Becky, we had such a good time just hanging with friends, and meeting new ones! Thanks for the invite! =)

Candace said...

Love you ;)

Amy said...

Hey Becky, give Bailee and I a call, we would love to hang out.