Friday, April 25, 2008

Madness #3--the Target trap

Since becoming a mom, I've learned that it is impossible to leave Target without spending more money than you intended.

With their cute little displays and relatively low prices, how can you not toss a couple extra things in your red cart? And when you're being selfless enough to buy things for other people, like your adorable son who's sitting facing you in the cart with his gorgeous big blue eyes and precious "buy me everything" smile, how can you not justify each purchase?

Just the other day I went to Target looking for something small to send to my friend's son who's turning one. I was hoping to just spend a couple bucks--nothing extravagent. I ended up with forty dollars-worth of stuff! I managed to convince myself that I needed to buy a handful of greeting cards for birthdays and events coming up over the next few months, and that I just HAD to purchase the adorable Sesame Street-themed birthday party invitations for our son's upcoming bash instead of making my own invites. And was I forced to buy the little nightlight for the baby's room since it perfectly matched his decor? Of course!

I swear, every time I tell my husband that I'm headed to Target, I think he freaks out in his head. Knowing that I'm going to bring home a bag full of stuff we probably don't need.

My theory? You can always take things back. And while you're there returning stuff, may as well just look around for a little while...

2 comments:

Candace said...

OMG! I totally hear ya on this one! Target is a gloriously dangerous place.

Erica said...

One time Nathan told me,"I give you permission to say I don't want this at the check out line." It has helped me so much when I see the total getting bigger and bigger, Instead of biting it and spending more money I begin to weed out what I can live without. Once you get in the habit it gets easier.