Friday, April 18, 2008

my elf shoes

Okay, so I'm kind of proud of myself. I've actually started a little bit of a fashion trend. And for the girl who used to wear hot pink stirrup pants with yellow wool socks and Payless's cheap knock-off Converse, this is a big deal.

So, a couple years ago my mother-in-law when to London and came home raving about the shoes that all the fashionable girls were wearing. She described them as black flats with a pointed toe. We went shopping and tried to find her a pair, but to no avail. Which was weird because everyone seems to have those shoes.

Well, for her birthday this past October, I was determined to find them. It took about five minutes of google searching to discover that Target carried black flats with a pointed toe. Not sure why we didn't just look online in the first place. Anyway, I buckled little Marty into his carseat and set out for our local Target to pick up a pair. Save on shipping costs, right? When I got there I discovered that they carried a bronze version as well. And my mother-in-law wears a lot of bronze, so I surprised her with some fun, pointy shoes. Happy Birthday, Mimi. Nevermind that she had to trade them for the silver ones since I bought the wrong size.

So my birthday rolled around in December, and my sister called to find out what I'd like. I directed her to the Target website and hinted that there were some pretty cute bronze pointy shoes for a reasonable price. Sure enough, she bought them for me and I started wearing them almost every day.

Then for Christmas, my younger sisters bought each other the same shoes in black. So I found myself trying to be careful that we all didn't wear our shoes at the same time. It would be pretty lame.


At a baby shower in January, a friend of mine (okay, Kathy) was admiring my bronze pointedness and asked where I got my adorable shoes. A couple months later I noticed her wearing a pair of her own at church one Sunday.

And now, my sister-in-law has the exact same ones. My mother-in-law went to lunch with her yesterday and came home to tell me that Anna had on the same shoes I wore yesterday, too. I can only imagine that she got the tip from Kathy, who's a good friend of hers.

So I guess I kind of started a fashion trend. I mean, people have been wearing elf shoes for a while now, so it wasn't really my idea, but I'm responsible for six gorgeous pairs finding their way to some happy owners, including myself. They really are comfortable despite looking like they would bend your toes in several weird directions.

The next time you see someone wearing them, think of me. Plain old Becky, whose version of high fashion is splurging on a thirty-dollar faux leather purse on sale at Macy's, discovered something cool and passed it on. Like I said, I'm pretty proud of myself.

3 comments:

Bonnie Janelle said...

Those shoes are cute! I wish I could hop on the pointy toe fashion trend but when you're a size 8 shoe (which I imagine you are, maybe smaller) but ONLY 5'2" (unlike yourself), the pointy thing doesn't go over well. Good thing you Palms (well, former for you) are so blessed with the height and long legs to pull off such a cute look! The part that I loved the most TARGET...*sigh*...LOVE TARGET!! That store is the greatest invention since sliced bread! Kudos!

Amy said...

Cute shoes. I just bought a dress today and need some black shoes. I might just have check out the Becky Moseley shoe.

cristine said...

This post made me smile! I miss you Becky! :) And yes those shoes are pretty fantastic ... my roommate has a pair. When I first saw your post, I thought to myself that the pair in the picture is just like the pair right by our front door!